Friday, April 5, 2024

Meet Me halfway

    The school semester is a little over halfway done, and I'm glad and relieved that that has happened. The good thing about this class is that 99% of the work can honestly be done outside of class. 100%, actually, because all the material in reality is software online, with material covering essentially everything. Classes have been a bit difficult to handle in the first half, especially with other issues going on in my life. I've been able to negotiate some classes and assignments, so I can basically do them online for the most part without having to go to class, which is amazing. As time goes by, I keep thinking about school—is it even worth it? A lot of people ask themselves that, and if it weren't for the military paying for it, I doubt I'd be in school right now.

    I chose Page Formatting Facts 4.5.4 for this week's post. I've hated Microsoft applications, extremely expensive, and Microsoft Office software. I'm not going to pay $100+ for software that I barely use. The Google application is kind of being instilled in students, at least in the Clark County district. I give them props, to be honest, because I prefer their software over Microsoft's. Microsoft Word has a lot of little tools and fixes to adjust practically everything. This section taught me a lot that I didn't even know existed. This page formatting fact really showed me how I was essentially able to design the whole page front, giving my document a fresh look.

6 comments:

  1. Google or Microsoft software is an ongoing debate, but in the workplace, I found knowing both is a bonus in the workplace. Working with the National Park Service we just switched from Google to Microsoft, so I found it's an advantage knowing both operating systems. Now that my coworkers know I'm taking IS-101, they are asking me how to do Microsoft stuff...not sure if that's a bonus or not ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the semester so far! It's great to hear that you've found a way to manage your workload outside of class, especially with everything else going on in your life. Flexibility and accessibility are key, and it's fantastic that you've been able to negotiate assignments to suit your needs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jonathan, it's true that many time without complete knowledge we use to take biased decision based on our comfort zone. If we are used to same products/software, we use to stick on to it and never used to explore new product/software. IS101 has given is opportunity to explore Microsoft products to greater extend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great that you're exploring new tools like Google applications for your studies. Keep leveraging those resources to design your documents and make the most of your learning experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you that the price for Microsoft Office was outrageous. When I needed to use Microsoft 365 on my Macbook for this class, I saw that it was $70 for a year. I decided to use the free trial for one week and that was that. And like you, I grew up using Google's software. And most importantly, I don't have to commit to one or the other. I ended up learning how to use most of the functions from both Google and Microsoft which will surely help me in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jonathan, can you believe tomorrow's the last day of class? Time flies when you are busy doing assignments right, next thing you know semester is done yay.

    ReplyDelete