Monday, January 22, 2024

Week 1 of Class

    Now, I don't know if I am doing this correctly. I messed up following the instructions clearly. However, I am pretty confident it stated if you don't post in 2 weeks, it will result in a zero. Week 1 of school is over, and boy, was it overwhelming. There are a lot of technical difficulties with Canvas and the various applications the professors are making us use. That's the thing about the school I loathe: the amount of extra software needed per class, and to make it worse, it's not even the same, so you have to purchase different software at different prices. There should be a university one. Or at least a universal one for each subject. I wouldn't say never, but I don't like to procrastinate. In fact, I kinda like to go ahead with the classwork since I have a busy schedule. It's all busy work, in my opinion, but it's still for a grade.

    IS101 course/class is interesting since it's on a Saturday. Everything is a bit calmer and abandoned as far as the school. The class went by real quick; Professor Wu was just going over the syllabus with the class while other students multitask with the work given in class and homework too. Well, that's at least what I was trying to do. I understand it is called homework for a reason, but if there is time in class, it would be smarter of me to use that time effectively than not to. The class itself was interesting, too, I think. If I heard and remembered correctly, we had about 5 or 6 students missing. For the first day, 70% plus or minus was not too bad; felt a bit crowded even though not everyone showed up, plus people are bound to drop the class for whatever personal reason. Also, the professor sounded to have something against McDonald's employees...

    Alright, another day, I started this assignment late, a lot later than I would've liked to due to work commitments, but I did not expect the class to have this kind of assignment due throughout the week. Moving on, I chose 1.1.17 "Activity: Compare Digital Media", which is perhaps one of the more startling things I read while doing those mini-labs. Most of the information up to that point was already subjects that I had knowledge of previously, but this was new. Compression types through lossless and lossy visual compression of the photos previously. Listening to audio was night and day. I can only imagine larger files and the importance of these facts then because now, well, everything is taken for granted, honestly. Before companies like Mega Upload was a thing. The video and pictures probably took forever to receive and send, plus, like I said, many of them look like potato quality. Through this, despite how simple it is, I was able to have some files compress differently and appropriately so they can be viewed in higher quality. For instance, audio kHz files sounded good in my computer, but it was formatted weirdly in the message that lowered the quality... so I fixed it, and now it sounds just as good.

13 comments:

  1. I too do not like to procrastinate, it gives me anxiety honestly. The first week of this class has given me a bit of anxiety at no fault of Professor Wu, but due to the canvas technical difficulties you mention as well as work responsibilities and hours. I have finally caught up although some of my tasks were late, I felt a little at ease when I caught up. I am still a little anxious only because working full time plus hours and taking on a full time course schedule after over a decade of not being in school is very new to me.

    The blog is kind of nice to speak out about how you are feeling and what kind of emotions you are feeling about college and what kind of obstacles you personally face each day and week. Others may be experiencing the same things and its nice to know you are not alone in the feeling.

    Good luck and best wishes to you on your continued educational journey in IS101!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to hear about your Week 1! I reviewed the syllabus and noticed the two-week posting guideline as well. I reached out to the professor to clarify, and it seems that while it's optional to make more than one post within two weeks, only one post every two weeks contributes to the graded assignments, as far as I understand. I appreciate your openness and willingness to share. I look forward to your future blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad everything is a bit calmer on the first classroom session for you :-)

    I don't have anything against McDonald's employees. I used the analogy of "If a student doesn't succeed in a 101 course such as IS101, that's like someone who cannot cut it as a fast food worker. Where does that student/employee go from there?" I used McDonald's as it is the most well-known fast food chain.

    Good to see 1.1.17 Compare Digital Media taught how to compress files differently and appropriately so they can be viewed in higher quality ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Week 1 was really tough to get a handle on with everything being in different places or at least I thought it was. I was looking for a "punch list" since I come from a trades background. I too liked the 1.1.17 module since I'm really ignorant on Digital Media so anything helps. Hopefully, you are up to speed and now able to keep up with the IS101 cadence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jonathan, You have given your mixed emotions and your assignments completion in this blog. Also, you have covered about the file compression and its formatting. Yes, even though the file compression promises the good quality, we need to check on the formatting that what done in the file before sending it across.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The class can be daunting with the amount of assignments needed to complete on a weekly basis making it hard to focus on other classes. While compression does lower quality, it makes the file size smaller which helps with storage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember the first-week issues a lot of our classmates had when it came to Canvas, MyCSN, etc. I'm no stranger to the frustration of my account being inaccessible due to reasons out of my control.
    I also admire your mindset of getting through assignments as soon as they're assigned. It all has to be done eventually, so why bother waiting for the due date right? Although for me, I have a history of doing things last minute...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This class has been really overwhelming for me, it's because a lot of life stuff came up for me and I'm trying to make sure I at least pass this semester, it's my first semester so I understand why this has been difficult for me, I'm hoping if I make it to next semester, I can do a better job at getting myself together and organized for the school semester, you are definitely not alone in this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Navigating the school year's initial challenges, from Canvas glitches to diverse software demands, reflects the common student struggle. Your proactive time management, even on Saturdays in IS101, showcases commitment. The dynamic first class, absentees, and multitasking students offer insights. Your choice of Activity 1.1.17 unveils valuable insights into digital media compression. Reflecting on past challenges adds a historical context, emphasizing the adaptability needed in our tech-driven academic environment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing Jonathan. I think most of us felt a similar way about class the first few weeks. The amount of work that was assigned was a tiny bit overwhelming. Most of my other classes consisted of working from a text book, this class had using multiple programs to complete a verity of assignments. It was a little stressful trying to set up all the accounts for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do agree with a lot of things you said, navigating through IS101 can be a challenge some times with the work load that is given. Also like you said the Saturday morning class is a bit weird, but I find it piece full since the campus is empty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Jonathan, you're spot on about those initial weeks in IS101 being overwhelming. But look on the bright side, we only have two weeks left, and then the semester's done. It is almost over, and we have made it through!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jonathan! I agree, the beginning couple weeks were overwhelming, but with active communication with Professor Wu, he has truly made this an easy class, despite the workload.

    ReplyDelete